Secret Service Agent Paralyzed By Reagan’s Shooter Reacts To His Early Release

( Tim McCarthy, the Secret Service agent injured in the 1981 attempt to kill President Ronald Reagan, says he supports the judge’s ruling for the unconditional release of John Hinckley, Jr., but notes that “there isn’t much room for a mistake” in the decision.

Reagan, McCarthy, White House press secretary James Brady and Washington Police Officer Tim Delahanty were outside the Washington Hilton more than 41 years ago when Hinkley fired a hail of bullets.

Hinckley was found not guilty on all counts due to insanity. He was institutionalized after his trial, but he has been granted gradual and increasing freedom over the subsequent two decades.

Wednesday, D.C. District Court Judge Paul Friedman concluded that Hinckley no longer posed a threat. He released him from any court supervision on June 15 and reintroduced him into private citizenship.

McCarthy said on Wednesday’s judgment that he hopes they’re correct. They’ve been correct so far, but there’s not much room for a mistake.

McCarthy, a native of Chicago, recovered from his injuries and served for 26 years as the police chief of the Chicago suburb Orland Park after his Secret Service service.

McCarthy said that according to the physicians, Hinkley is no longer a threat to himself or others, and he will take their word for it. He said Hinkley hadn’t broken any of the restrictions for the past decade or so, when he was periodically freed, which is promising.

He emphasized that no legislation forces would-be assassins to stay behind bars. Sarah Jane Moore and Squeaky Fromme, who attempted to kill President Gerald Ford, were freed from jail after completing their sentences.

“Many would believe that presidential assassins should never be freed. However, it is not our system, “McCarthy replied.

Currently, Hinckley lives in Virginia. He has started posting his original music on his YouTube page in recent years.

Even prosecutors have deemed Hinckley’s therapy a success, citing his willingness to continue getting mental health care once he is no longer mandated to do so.

Wednesday, the judge remarked that Hinckley had been the subject of extensive investigation, stating that he had been “examined” and “passed every test.”