(PresidentialWire.com)- The Professional Golfers’ Association and former President Donald Trump have privately resolved their dispute over the decision by the PGA to pull one of its major professional golf tournaments from a golf course that Trump owns.
In a press release given out this week, the PGA of America announced a confidential settlement was reached with the Trump Organization. That agreement resolves all legal claims Trump had against the PGA.
Earlier this year, the association pulled one of its tournaments from a golf course Trump owns in Bedminster, New Jersey, following the attack on the U.S. Capitol building on January 6.
In the press release, the PGA said:
“While the terms of the settlement will remain confidential, representatives from both the PGA and the Trump Organization expressed satisfaction with the agreement.”
The 2022 PGA Championship was supposed to be played at Bedminster’s Trump National Golf Club. It is a major event for the PGA — one of the four “major tournaments” it holds around the world each year.
But, on January 10, just a few days after the attack at the Capitol, the PGA said they’d be stripping the tournament from the Trump-owned club, after its board of directors held a vote.
To announce that decision, Jim Richerson, the president of PGA of America, said in a video:
“It has become clear that conducting the PGA Championship at Trump Bedminster would be detrimental to the PGA of America brand.”
He also added that continuing to host the tournament at a Trump-owned course would risk the PGA’s ability “to deliver on many programs and sustain the longevity of our mission.”
The PGA eventually decided to move that tournament to a golf course in Tulsa, Oklahoma, where it will be held in May of 2022.
In response, the Trump Organization filed a lawsuit that accused the PGA of America of breach of contract.
The press release from this week did not mention whether golf courses that Trump owns would be eligible to host future tournaments held by the PGA. It did commend the Trump Organization for its “contribution to the golf community,” though, adding it has “some of the finest private and public golf courses anywhere in the world.”
The release also contained a statement from Eric Trump, one of the former president’s sons who is also an executive with the Trump Organization. That statement read:
“We look forward to continuing to support the mission of the PGA and its Professionals, who are the best in the golf industry.”
Eric Trump added that the Trump Organization has “great respect for the work of the PGA,” and as such, they will continue to support the organization’s mission.
Ultimately, it would be natural to assume that Trump and his organization would still love to host a major PGA tournament in the future. These tournaments draw in huge crowds, both in person and on TV, and bring a lot of attention to the courses and the companies that run them.