(PresidentialWire.com)- United States Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Thursday that the recent missile tests in North Korea pose a “profoundly destabilizing” threat to the world, and said that Pyongyang has still not responded to diplomatic communications from Washington, D.C.
Perhaps things might be different if President Donald Trump was still in office and continuing his historic peace talks with the isolationist, communist country…
On Wednesday, the Biden administration launched its first sanctions over the weapons test, which saw two ballistic missiles tested by the country, both of which traveled more than 400 miles.
During an interview with MSNBC, Blinken insisted that the United States doesn’t have any hostile intent towards the country and that government officials have repeatedly told North Korea that they are willing to re-engage in talks as long as some preconditions are met. North Korea has not responded, however.
“Unfortunately, not only has there been no response to those overtures, but the response we’ve seen has been renewed missile tests, something that is profoundly destabilizing, it’s dangerous and it contravenes a whole host of U.N. Security Council resolutions,” Blinken explained.
Blinken suggested that the missile launches may be a matter of North Korea “trying to get attention,” but his assessment could be shorted sighted. After North Korea and China renewed their friendship treaty last year, the country has the support of one of the greatest economic powers in the world – and should the United States get aggressive with North Korea, it could just prompt more conflict with China.
Perhaps North Korea is doing this because the communist country genuinely has ambitions of growing, fixing its economy, and becoming a force to be reckoned with. Whether or not that’s possible, however, is yet to be seen.